Tik8, a Cinema Booking app

Project overview

 In 2015 I got an opportunity to be in Tik8 UI/UX team, which became the most famous ordering tickets app and website based in Iran and won numerous prizes in the fields of digital. Though the product covers a multitude of events — from theatre to sports, our focus was primarily on movie ticket booking. The following case study explores user engagement and booking flow improvements in tik8 website. The focus of this case study is in the Cinema section.

My Responsibilities

  • conducting initial user research
  • defining key personas, user journeys, site maps, prototyping, sketches
  • creating stylish visual interfaces
  • collaborating with all the members of the team including Chief Executives, Product Owners, and Development team.

Platform:

Android/iOS Mobile application and website

Duration:

8-10 month

Team members:

 Our team included 4 backend developers, 3 frontend developers and I was the only designer/researcher.

Challenge

Going to the cinema is a fun experience, but ordering the tickets in many apps and websites often feels like navigation in a really long and frustrating process. I’ve always had a problem with booking tickets from the one service in my country. Therefore, I chose to focus on the experience in one of the cinema companies in my country, “Cinema Ticket” as a basis for the problem I wanted to fix. The first step was analyzing our competitor.

Phase 1

Customer & market research

Goal:

Gathering data about customer’s behavior, goals, and pain points.

Competitive analysis

I picturized the purchase flow of our competitor service to be familiar with this service and find out its pain points or strengthen.

Also, I listed the features of the 4 related websites.

 Help Desk

I wanted to know the initial and basic problems that users might have with the services and hear their voices. What could be better than comments of users in play stores that show me the main problems that led them to comment and made a complaint? I found relative frequency of problems and became familiar with some expectations amongst users.

  • The app doesn’t work well
  • Do not use this app if they put you in a queue.
  • Wasting time on queue for popular events
  • Lack of transparency for pricing (why does it have to tack 3 clicks to be able to see the actual price I am paying?)
  • No record in user profile when bought a ticket even after payment
  • I hate using the app but I have no other option if I want to go to shows
  • Lost good seats due to the application error
  • I liked the website because I can order my tickets in the advance month prior to the scheduled events

User  Interview

I interviewed 10 people aged between 20 to 30, who go to the cinema at least once in a month. The questions focused on the last time they went to the cinema.

User Story

According to all the data that I gathered on the research phase I conducted some user stories:

  1. As a user, I want to see a specific movie so I look for the right time to see it.
  2. As a user, I want to go to the cinema at a specific time so I look for the best movie available at that time.
  3. As a user, I want to go to a movie around my living/working area so I look for a specific cinema.
  4. As a user, I want to find a movie in a specific genre so I look for genres.

What did I learn?

 From this exercise, it became clear that we could help customers derive more value from the product if we offered multiple ways to find a movie. So I came to this point that I should provide an opportunity for users to find their movie based on their priorities which are a specific movie, specific time, specific cinema theatre, and genres.

Knowing the Persona

I created a snapshot view of the target audience. It helped me during my design to consider all user groups.

Pain Points

The current website and app do not support any of the user stories really well.

People complained that the process feels long.

Others mentioned the mobile view of the website is not responsive and it is hard to buy a ticket.

Suggested Solution

The solution takes two of the main user stories into account. I split the options to either Search by Movie or Search by Time. We ran 2 weeks of design sprints based on the design .thinking methodology, which includes 5 stages: empathize, define, ideate, prototype, and test.

:Here is the flow of my suggestion

App flow

Concerning preparing the whole app flow we used ‘coggle.it’ which is an online system and allowed our team members to complete the flow.

Wireframes

I tried out different solutions and came up with the low fidelity wireframes and tested them with the potential users. These initial sketches helped to filter out some of the critical and also obvious problems that the users face, liked, or disliked.

UI DESIGN

And here is how it looks like integrated with the UI: